- PentaG-RAN fills semiconductor industry design gaps for companies looking to enter the lucrative 5G Open RAN equipment market with optimized ASIC solutions
- Breakthrough platform architecture solves massive MIMO computing challenges with a comprehensive L1 PHY solution, delivering up to 10x power and area savings compared to available FPGA and COTS processor-based alternatives
- CEVA’s co-creation services are also available to PentaG-RAN customers for the development of their entire PHY subsystem, and up to complete chip design.
Rockville, Md., September 21, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — CEVA, Inc. (NASDAQ: CEVA), the leading licensor of wireless connectivity and intelligent sensing technologies and co-creation solutions, today introduced PentaG-RAN™, the first industry’s 5G baseband IP platform for ASICs targeting cellular infrastructure in base station and radio configurations, including distributed units (DUs) and remote radio units (RRUs), from small multi-input, multi-output (mMIMO) grounded cell. This heterogeneous baseband computing platform has been designed to significantly lower the barriers to entry for companies wishing to penetrate the new market opportunities available in Open RAN (O-RAN) equipment.
The booming market for 5G base stations and radio ASICs is fueled by digital transformation that continuously requires higher cellular bandwidth at lower latency. More recently, network disaggregation driven by the Open RAN initiative and the promotion of mMIMO has drawn the attention of silicon vendors around the world to the opportunity in the cellular infrastructure market. Global technology watch firm ABI Research forecasts shipments of 5G outdoor mobile infrastructure equipment, including mMIMO radios, O-RAN radios, small cells and virtual basebands, to grow at a CAGR of 17% from 2022 to 2027, exceeding 23 million units per year by 2027. The inability of current platforms to scale effectively to mMIMO dimensions or support new O-RAN use cases where power and cost are important factors has disrupted the market and opened the door to new entrants.
With this in mind, PentaG-RAN provides a revolutionary platform for a complete L1 PHY (Physical Layer 1) solution with optimal hardware/software partitioning, incorporating powerful vector DSPs, PHY control DSPs, flexible 5G hardware accelerators and other specialized components required for the modem. processing chains. It offers up to 10 times more energy and space savings compared to available alternatives based on FPGA and commercially available (COTS) processors. To further reduce design risk and accelerate ASIC design, CEVA’s co-authoring services are available to PentaG-RAN customers for the development of their entire PHY subsystem, and up to full chip design.
Guy KechetVice President and General Manager of CEVA’s Mobile Broadband Business Unit, said, “CEVA has been at the forefront of DSP technology in cellular infrastructure for the past decade, working with leading Tier 1 OEMs. 1 to deliver the most advanced DSP architectures deployed in 5G RAN today.Our PentaG-RAN platform was formed from this vast experience and brings the next-level platform solution to help drive the next generation of 5G chipsets for mMIMO systems and new O-RAN use cases.
The PentaG-RAN platform handles both base station and radio compute configurations:
- Base station, supporting Macro DU/vDU and Small Cell – offering a scalable computing platform for L1 online DU/vDU acceleration. This configuration manages the complete acceleration of the main processing chains (data and control), both for the symbol-to-bit domains (including FEC) and for the frequency processing (including FFT and equalization). Advanced algorithms including channel estimation and MMSE calculation are mapped to the CEVA-XC DSP for optimal processing and power efficiency. It includes a powerful resource pool to accelerate COTS platforms and supports 7.2x high and low PHY split partitioning based on Open RAN specifications.
- Radio, supporting Open RAN Low-PHY, Massive MIMO and Beamformer – offering a scalable computational platform for RRU-side massive MIMO beamforming processing, including Beamformer and Beamforming weight computation. This configuration offers unparalleled computational and PPA efficiency, providing customers with a competitive path for cost reduction and integration options with transceivers, compared to FPGA and other COTS solutions. It supports a range of use cases from Small Cell and Macro, to Massive MIMO 32TR to 64TR and beyond, for Sub-6 and mmWave and supports O-RAN 7.2x splits.
To further accelerate time to market for PentaG-RAN licensees, the platform is supported by CEVA’s new Virtual Platform Simulator (VPS), a unified System-C modeling environment which enables pre-silicon software development, solution sizing, proof of concept architecture and modeling of all platform components. The VPS also includes reference software implementations for major processing chains, as well as beamforming use cases.
PentaG-RAN will be available for general licensing in the fourth quarter of this year. PentaG-RAN customers can also benefit from SoC co-creation services by CEVA’s Intrinsix team to help integrate and support system design and modem development. For more information, visit https://www.ceva-dsp.com/product/ceva-pentag-ran/.
About CEVA, Inc.
CEVA is the leading licensor of wireless connectivity and smart sensing technologies and co-creation solutions for a smarter, safer, connected world. We provide digital signal processors, artificial intelligence engines, wireless platforms, cryptography cores and complementary software for sensor fusion, image enhancement, computer vision, voice input and artificial intelligence. These technologies are offered in combination with our Intrinsix IP integration services, helping our customers tackle their most complex and time-sensitive IC design projects. Leveraging our technologies and chip design skills, many of the world’s leading semiconductor, systems and OEMs are creating energy-efficient, smart, secure and connected devices for a range of markets. including mobile, consumer, automotive, robotics, industrial, aerospace & defense and IoT.
Our DSP-based solutions include platforms for 5G baseband processing in mobile, IoT and infrastructure, advanced imaging and computer vision for any camera-equipped device, l audio/voice/speech and ultra-low-power always-on/sensing applications for multiple IoT markets. For sensor fusion, our Hillcrest Laboratories Sensor Processing Technologies provides a wide range of sensor fusion software and inertial measurement unit (“IMU”) solutions for markets including hearing aids, wearables, AR/VR, PC , robotics, remote controls and IoT. For wireless IoT, our platforms for Bluetooth (low energy and dual mode), Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11n/ac/ax), ultra-wideband (UWB), NB-IoT and GNSS are the most widely authorized. connectivity platforms in industry.
Visit us at www.ceva-dsp.com and follow us on Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, LinkedIn and instagram.